Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Reading Challenge: The Hunger Games

Title: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, The Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games was published four years ago and despite that every single person I talked to insisted that I should read the series, I didn't. Despite the rave reviews the movie received and that everyone once again insisted you just had to read the books, I didn't. Despite the fact that the books sat on our shelves in their shiny new glory (the Mister having bought them), I didn't read them.
I have a terrible habit of not reading whatever is hot on the shelves at the moment, I get so sick of hearing about it at every turn, that I just decide I'm not interested and move on.
Finally, finally, I decided to try the first book (after I finally watched the movie), when I needed the titles as part of my reading challenges for this year. The hoopla surrounding the books had died down, we were between movies being released, and I had a goal in sight.
I sat down with The Hunger Games on a cold February Friday afternoon, and by the end of Sunday I had devoured not only The Hunger Games, but Catching Fire and Mockingjay as well. Once I cracked open the cover I simply couldn't put them down. So I suppose in the end I agree that you really do need to read the series, or at least give it a fighting chance.

Reading Challenges:


No comments:

Post a Comment