Saturday, September 28, 2013

Organizing our library

I spent a lot of time reorganizing over the summer following our move. One of the things I kept organizing and moving and moving again is our homeschool library. I finally moved most of the fiction picture books to the boys' room (I'll show you that project another time) and kept all of the nonfiction or topical books in the homeschool room/office. 

I LOVED the system that Heather at Only Passionate Curiosity used so I decided to jump in and join her. It took me several hours over the course of a few nights to get it done and I love it!

Basically you sort your library by topic and adhere colored labels to the spine of each. Per Heather's suggestion I used packing tape to go over the printed labels and they seem like they'll stay put just fine.

 Close ups. My printer was being goofy so I have stripes on some of the labels where they should be a solid color. I didn't really worry about it as long as they were all the same.

I printed out the subject key and hung it on the closet door right next to the bookshelf. The boys can look for topics by writing or pictures and find the corresponding color. They also know where a book belongs by the color on it's spine. The biggest benefit? I can finally find our books when I want them and make better use of them.
I didn't use all of the subjects offered, just the ones that fit what I needed/wanted. I kept a stash of extra labels on hand for books that we add to our library, because I know we'll be adding more.

Go check out Only Passionate Curiosity for the free labels and stay a while, Heather's blog is wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment