Sunday, March 18, 2012

{Reading Challenges Week 11}

I'm switching gears a bit and moving my reading challenge posts here for the rest of the year. My previous weeks can be found on Two Boys and a Cricut still.
I haven't finished many books over the last few weeks. I seem to be in a start a new book every day kind of mood rather than a finish something kind of mood.

I'm in the middle of several, but what I did manage to finish is:

Seven Up - Janet Evanovich.
I wrote a pretty extensive review about the Stephanie Plum series here so I won't bore you with the details again. I love the series and this book was no exception.
The one disappointment (which had nothing to do with the actual book) is that I've been listening to the entire series on audio book and the seventh book is suddenly read by a different narrator. I have a hard time switching gears once I've listened to a particular person read a series of books. The voices and personalities come out in their reading and the characters take on a realness in my mind. Having a different reader just makes it all seem wrong. Frankly, I didn't really like her reading style regardless. I will be continuing the series, hopefully the reader that did the first six books will be back. If not, I may just switch to reading hard copies.
52 Books in 52 Weeks - 10
Audio Books - 5


Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
I've converted a couple of readers lately into Twilight fans. I've listened to the books twice on audio and shortly before Christmas found a paperback version at a thrift store. I hadn't really intended on reading it but I lent it to my mom and when she returned it recently I couldn't help myself. When the series hit the shelves I refused to read them. I tend to rebel against things that get shoved down my throat at every turn. Two years later I finally pulled it off the library shelf and fell instantly in love with Bella and the Cullens. Here's where I may differ from the majority of the Swan/Cullen fans, I think the movies are garbage. Yes I've seen them all, and yes I will watch the final movie, but I will be the first to admit that they were way off mark when they cast and created each and every one of them. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that say, those movies were terrible, why would I read the book!?, blah, blah, blah. So I try my hardest to convince them to just give the first book a try and usually I'm right, and they love it. If I'm wrong and they don't love it, no sweat, we all have our preferences. What it all comes down to is a fantasy based teenage love story with fun characters and a great writing style. There are few books that I've come across in life that I will willingly pick up over and over again, Meyer's series happens to be one of them. My current boycott? The Hunger Games. I know *gasp!* don't worry, I'll come around.
52 Books in 52 Weeks - 11

No comments:

Post a Comment